In view of Romans 1, especially verses 24-27, is not God Himself at least partly responsible for homosexuality?
UK Apologetics Reply:
Hmmm! Well, that's a different way of expressing it, for sure. Okay, to the degree that God created men and women and allowed a situation in which they might have stumbled into sin, then, after men and women willingly indulged in every manner of sin, including the sin of ingratitude, God might be said to be partly responsible. But make no mistake: From Genesis to Revelation the Bible makes it clear that people always remain responsible for their own sins. Regarding His human creation, God finally 'gave them over' to certain sins through which they were effectively cursing themselves. In other words, God allowed certain sins to fully run their course as an act of judgment for sin. More on that in a moment, but - firstly - let us look at this part of Romans 1:
24. Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another.
25. They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.
26. Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones.
27. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.
28. Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done.
29. They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips,
30. slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents;
31. they are senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless.
32. Although they know God's righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them. (Romans 1:24-32, NIV throughout).
Okay, before we look at the broader picture here, what did God achieve by 'giving over' men and women to the possibility of homosexuality (verse 24)? It is an 'opportunity' to see how destructive sin really is. Strangely, this particular one tends to spread and robs it's participants of the true joy of Godly heterosexual love. Also, God has always wished to bless men and women with big families. Biblically, large families are always depicted as a blessing, this is in complete contrast, of course, to these ecology-oriented 'population control' voices who seem to believe that human beings are a curse. They are, of course, completely wrong. Indeed, all the data shows that they are wrong but don't expect them to change their opinions any time soon. A significant part of the population developing homosexual preferences would be a curse on us. Abortion too is a curse on an even bigger scale. Through such despicable mass abortion as we have in the West, future generations of Americans and Europeans are greatly reduced in number. That weakens us. The European and American formerly Christian peoples are bringing a curse upon themselves in these ways (and in other ways).
One of the primary reasons why God allowed this to happen is depicted in verses 22-23 and 25 (verse 25 is quoted above):
22. Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools
23. and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles.
We exchanged the truth of God for a lie, then worshipped created things rather than the Creator Himself. That is knowing, and conscious, idolatry.
This started to happen on a major scale from the (so-called) 'enlightenment' of around 1700-1870. Think how many really bad things came along around then: There was David Hume, the very influential philosopher who taught people that they needed to get rid of all teachings about God, there was Voltaire, very soon, Darwin, and soon after that Marx and Engels. Freud came along just a little later and built on some of these foul foundations. He rejected any idea of God and sought to replace the role of the minister and priest with that of the psychologist. All of this laid a foundation for the great twentieth century tyrants, Stalin, Hitler, Mao and so on. These people were the direct product of the God-denying "enlightenment." I repeat: Stalin, Hitler and Mao were the direct product of the enlightenment. So these materialistic influences, including socialism and liberalism have sought to displace Christianity with their own creeds. Pantheism soon arrived, going straight into the various modern ecology movements. These modern pseudo-environmentalists have caused many to "worship created things, rather than the Creator." They keep saying that we need to protect the planet, but people are apparently far less important. They do have a concept of god, but that god is nature - that is Pantheism. 'Pantheism' refers to the view that the Universe (Nature) and God are identical, so Pantheism promotes the idea that 'God' is better understood as a way of looking at natural law and the Universe, but it rejects a divine Creator. Thus: Pantheism is now alive and healthy and may be witnessed in the current obsession with the physical world ('the environment').
Idolatry is a major sin yet, strangely, most modern preachers don't seem to mention it anymore. Men who mostly knew fully well that God existed contrived to get mankind to worship created things within nature. Darwin, among others, did that. The Scripture which we are considering shows that God is punishing idolatrous human behaviour by the presence of such things as homosexuality. Paul is clear that people are fully without excuse for rejecting what can be freely known about the Creator God, in favour of their own silly and foolish ideas. The virtual world-wide acceptance of evolution is another curse which God-rejecting people have brought upon themselves. It holds us all in ignorance; prior to the widespread acceptance of evolution, scientific knowledge - I mean real scientific knowledge - had been surging ahead by leaps and bounds. Now everything is bogged down within silly, hypothetical, non-evidenced, theories. Why? Because evolution brought everything to a halt. Modern scientism does not allow it (evolution) to be challenged and that has thrown a huge log right across the railroad track of further scientific progress. It's a curse!
18. The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness,
19. since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them.
20. For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.
21. For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. (Romans 1:18-21).
Paul says that we are without excuse in rejecting God - and he is dead right! It is wicked and evil to suppress the truth of God and that is exactly what these various 'isms' have done. So, in allowing these things, God is effectively saying, 'You want to believe a lie which denies Me? Okay, have as much of it as you want and just see where it leads.' This world will get further and further away from God until - I believe - people will eventually be arrested and imprisoned just for expressing a Christian belief.
When modern 'liberal' people say that homosexuality is perfectly fine if that's your preference, when they say that we should not be too condemning about adultery because it probably happens at least once in almost all marriages, and who are we to judge? when they say that men and women came from primeval slime and that we are all related to carrots, cauliflowers, birds and monkeys, when they say that schoolgirls of 13-14 years of age should always have the contraceptive pill handy in case they get pregnant, and when they say that if such girls do become pregnant that's okay because they can always have a termination, if enough people believe and accept those desperately immoral standards then we are bringing a curse upon ourselves as surely as tomorrow's sunrise. God is not mocked - we reap what we sow!
Right now our Maker is giving men and women a pretty heavy dose of aversion therapy. He is saying, 'You want sin? Okay, then wallow in it to your heart's content so that you may discover for yourselves where it will lead.' The answer is that sin leads to eternal death but certain sins will also deprive us of peace of mind and true mental and spiritual joy right now and directly attack human character. The murder of small babies in the womb and to willingly engage in homosexual acts are two of those.
Robin A. Brace. January 29th 2010.